Re: campaigns; RQ; PDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:13:50 -0700

Sandy mentioned there are 5 Ralios campaigns -- I don't think I know who all the other 4 are, and would like to hear from you. (I'd like to know more about some of the "exotic" locations, too -- not that I wouldn't mind hearing about the Dragon Pass or Prax games, too.)

Simon Phipp wrote

#1, Glorantha the Game isn't published yet. There's still a window of opportunity to do RQ stuff.
#2, what's stopping you from doing your own zine to support RuneQuest? (I realize you already have a fairly extensive Web site -- why not keep adding to it?)
#2a, what's stopping you from sending Reaching Moon enough great RQ stuff that they publish it in Tales?
#3 Avalon Hill still plans to do RQ Glorantha stuff, from what I've heard. I haven't heard Greg say he was going to disapprove any Gloranthan supplements.
#4 The Megacorp hardly has a monopoly on RQ/Glorantha support. There are at least 3 American fanzines (one of them has even had an issue in recent months), a German one, and a French one or two. #5 Don't stop evangelizing RQ (I will be running a game at the local convention next weekend).

> At the moment, I am seriously toying with the idea of giving up Glorantha and
> RuneQuest completely - too much change, not enough personal flexibility.

If you're still having fun playing RuneQuest/Glorantha, why stop? Because things may change in a still unclear way?

I like Ian Gorlick's suggestion that the Vadeli have to keep doing progressively more evil things over the centuries, as they become desensitized to the familiar evils of the past.

By the way, I don't expect that Glorantha: the Game is going to look very much like Pendragon Pass (<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/pdp.html> for those unfamiliar), based on some sketchy conversations with Greg. Remember, PDP is an attempt to make minimal changes to Pendragon or the RQ magic system, and I doubt a new game would have these constraints. Furthermore, I designed PDP to be used for generations-long campaigns, and I don't know if this is a design goal for G:tG. (Dave Hall, would it be possible to get some broad statements on the intent?)

As for Mike Cule hating the Pendragon personality trait system, his suggestions are exactly how I run it. It is rare to force characters to make rolls; it is common to award checks for behavior.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> NO ZUKES! Stop zucchini proliferation.