many moons

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:45:00 -0700

Mike Cule falls victim to Moon Confusion:

>But just to point out the inconsistency: GRoY says that it was Sedenya, the
Red Moon Goddess who crashed onto her worshippers at Mernita. Unless we identify all the moons as one moon, I don't really see how this can be.

Heck, it gets worse. Lukarius shot that moon out of the sky, and it landed on the evil city of Mernita, who had worshipped her instead of Yelm. Then the fallen Sedenya became Gerra, and was made to marry Lukarius (to get him to stop oppressing her people) - so that he might have control over her - that pesky female moon power. And, as Gerra, that moon later mourned Lukarius' death!

But in other myths, it was also Shargash who cast down the red moon, Sedeyna. And then he did the same to the moon Lesilla. He might well do the same to Rufelza in the hero wars.

If all this sounds confusing - it is. These events are mythic, and occurred where time is not linear, nor individual actors always set. It is the paths and themes which are important.

>Either the Yelmies have got it wrong (always a likely hypothesis)

Impale that man!

>or there is a Mystery here.

Bingo. I think you're close with the "all moons as one Moon" theory - or at least - "a lot of the moons are one Moon." Various moons and moon goddesses are just masks of the Moon Goddess, herself possibly a composite of some ancient Pelandan earth/sky goddesses. She/they have a mythic opposition to the forces of Fire/Sky and Oppression, whether it's Lukarius, Shargash, Brightface, or Orlanth.

All IMO.

Pam