Castle Blue and Battles

From: Arkat_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:43:06 -0400

David Cake writes:

> The other thing I want to say is that if the Red Goddes was not
>considered part of 'the Compromise' or however they think of it in Peloria,
>then surely the battles begun at Castle Blue would still be going on?

Why? The Battle of Castle Blue was when the Red Goddess proved she was a true deity to everybody else including Orlanth. I don't think the Battle was about making the Red Goddess join the Compromise. It also wasn't a battle fought by her to force her way into the Compromise. I'd think she *wouldn't* want to join the Compromise because it frees her to act directly against the mortal enemies of the Empire. She could go kick everybody's ass without having to worry about Orlanth and those guys acting directly on Glorantha to stop her. This assures her Empire's survival which in turn ensures she gets lots more worship which makes her lots more powerful.

As far as the continuation of the Battle is concerned, I don't think it would. She kicked Orlanth's butt and proved herself. The issue is settled. Also, the Compromise only allows for the direct intervention of the parties to the Compromise to act directly in the mundane world only if their very existence is threatened. The Empire and the Red Goddess (before the Monster Empire anyway) don't threaten existence and therefore there is no reason to continue the Castle Blue battle.

John Brown
Arkat_at_aol.com

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #135