Power shamans

From: Karin Goihl / Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 18:06:21 +0100

Simon Phipp: I see your point about the difference between real world and Glorantha shamans, but I don't see trying to protect oneself as
"power-grasping and selfish". I think those terms imply a decided hardness,
or nastiness which goes a lot farther than someone just doing what e has to to survive. On the other point, I was not refering to anyone who pays to play
"shaman" for a weekend. A shaman/medicine man/witch doctor/ whatever is
someone who has really learned that sort of thing. I was refering to the two of those I know/have met who are trained and practicing, and biographies and reports on real medicine-men/women. I don't remember anything to indicate that any of them are other than generous, and nothing to suggest any power-grasping among them. There must be exceptions however. I will be visiting one soon and can try to remember to ask him about that. In your gaming there could be any number of shamans-gone-nuts who are selfish and so on. I will try to remember also to ask how dangerous "shamaning" is. These people normally try to care for their communties, which is rarely seen as selfish. Shamans situated on the shore might grasp at seashells from shellfish.

 un-grasp. Daniel