Re: dragonewts

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 16:42:02 -0500

Manu, the lost Knight of Slontos
>I wonder if somebody could help me about the wierdest creature in
>Glorantha : The Dragonewts. I don't understand quite well how the
>rebirth works. If one is killed, he seeks vengance. OK

        Not necessarily. In fact, not even most of the time. IMO, he will come after his killer only for one of these four reasons

  1. he was doing something important and decides his killer is likely to stop him again. Thus he takes preventive action.
  2. because he is required to do so in certain cases; frex, when his killer defiles the dragonewt's corpse (as in creating dragonewtskin armor).
  3. because he is experimenting with the concept of vengeance.
  4. for a secret left-handed dragonewt reason incomprehensible to other species.

>but if he dies as a scout, does he come back as a scout?

        Yes, unless he has graduated to a warrior in the meantime.

>Everytime?

        A warrior or higher 'newt won't come back as a scout unless he has backslid. Even then, the new "scout" typically still looks like a warrior -- but he's considered a scout by the 'newts.

>Does he remember what happend in his previous life?

        Yes. But he may not act like it, depending on the 'newt.

>How does one Dragonewt knows where his skin is, if somebody stole it
>from his previous dead body?

        He doesn't. Except that he can use spells & his keen sense of smell to track it down.

>Is he "unskinned" as long as he doesn't recover his skin?

        No. Only if the skin is turned into armor.

>How reacts the other Dragonewt about the skin stealing?

        Hostile. They may or may not try to kill you, but they'll certainly inform your hunter of your present. They may try to recover the suit, too.