heroquest

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:31:17 -0700

John Brown worried about John Hughes's article in TotRM 14:

> it sounds like Greg believes the characters we play in the
> game are actually the people we are in real life

The text in question is, "Greg Stafford has stated that his hope for heroquest is to have the *player* share a *character's* moment of mythic insight and inner change." I take this at face value, and agree. If I can feel excited because my character is excited, or worried when my character is worried, that's a good thing. If I can learn something when my character learns something, that's even better. But in no sense do I have to be my character (or have my character be me). Nor do I have to subscribe to any particular style of play or use any particular rules system.

I think I differ somewhat with John whether the moment of sharing emotions with your character is the prime goal or a desirable side effect of gaming, but that's immaterial. It is certainly one of the elements of a good game.

Simon Hibbs mentions that weddings are a form of magic, even a quest. I agree. There was a moment during mine where I literally felt the world turn 90 degrees. I have no idea what point in the ceremony that was, but that moment (not exchanging rings or smooching the bride) is when I was married.