Moons and Vadeli morality

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:46:59 +1200

Pam Carlson:

>Lukarius shot that moon out of the sky, and it landed on the evil
>city of Mernita, who had worshipped her instead of Yelm. Then the
>fallen Sedenya became Gerra, and was made to marry Lukarius (to get
>him to stop oppressing her people) - so that he might have control
>over her - that pesky female moon power. And, as Gerra, that moon
>later mourned Lukarius' death!

Umm, Lukarius married Gerra *before* Mernita fell victim and Gerra was known *long* before this (as she appears on the Gods Wall). Thus Lukarius seems to be marrying the High Priestess of the Gerran Cult for some obscure reason. The Fallen Sedenya *cannot* have become Gerra to marry the Emperor although the Gerran Cult may have taken upon the sufferings of Mernita in its rituals.

>But in other myths, it was also Shargash who cast down the red
>moon, Sedeyna. And then he did the same to the moon Lesilla.
>He might well do the same to Rufelza in the hero wars.

The myth which states that Shargash cast down Lesilla does not mention Sedenya by name. Hence Shargash may have cast down only one moon if at all. He is not the eternal foe of all moon goddesses IMO.

Sandy Petersen:

Me>>The Vadeli are _amoral_ rather than immoral. They do not regard what
>>they do as evil because they are _beyond_ good and evil. They do not
>>believe in Solace.

> I do not agree. They are (rumored to be) immoral and evil.
>They do not regard what they do as evil because they are so steeped
>in sin that their consciences are dead.

Which puts us in agreement rather than disagreement. I am arguing against the proposition that the Vadeli see an act and say 'This act is bad, I will do it because I am evil incarnate' in favour of 'So if I do [insert disgusting act] here, I will get such and such benefits from it. Since it does not violate the Law of Vadel, it is okay for me to do it'.

> The fact that they do not believe in Solace is immaterial. Is
>an atheist who murders less guilty than a believer?

The reason I mentioned Solace was to point out that the Vadeli have no spiritual rewards and thus are not compelled to not care about the moral consequence of their acts beyond observance of the Laws of Vadel to maintain their immortality. Furthermore their code appears not to include the Golden Rule. Thus for them to have an absolute belief in Good and Evil strikes a false note IMHO.

Of the other races who deny life after death, the Brithini who are similarly amoral have burdensome taboos to fuel their immortality because three out of four castes cannot use magic. The observance of these taboos prevents them from becoming degenerate. The Dwarves have got the status of the Diamondwarf which requires more than being a mere machine to attain (despite I. Gorlick's remarks to the contrary). There's also the merfolk but they are not immortal AFAIK.

> Note: I believe that one of the major sources of Vadeli
>increase is conversion.

Hmm? People converting to the Vadeli? What a horrible thought! Presumably some of the reports of Simulacra were people who had to do deeds for the Vadeli so they could join?