Vadeli

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:41:00 -0400

Sandy:
"They [the Vadeli] may be one of the few groups in Glorantha that actually chooses evil for evil's sake." It's nice to be in agreement with you, Sandy.

You are also correct that the truth about the Vadeli should be kept a deep, dark secret as long as possible. However, there will come a day when the players will have to find out what really happens behind closed doors. We will have to tell them something. The list of atrocities that has been discussed here is just the starting point, even more revolting activities can be hinted at. But those of us less skilled at the suggestive style of horror need a starting place.

About ships and captains, can you please explain why you feel that Browns can not captain a ship? These guys can plan and operate factories, farms, and large mercantile corporations. That takes lots of backbone and guts. Why can't they manage a ship? I've always had a problem with this particular point, and it is not clear to me why it must be so.

About the Red Vadeli, would there be a problem with them showing a range of character types? Some could be the cool Clint Eastwood types you prefer, others could be the more excitable types who really get into a good slaughter. A big problem with trying to write alien races is a tendency to over-generalize and thus destroy any individuality among them. Stereotypes are as destructive to fiction as they are in real life.

I agree that the Red Vadeli TRY to leave no witnesses to their atrocities, but let's be realistic. There will be mistakes and accidents. Some victims will get away, very few, just enough to get some people wondering what this new threat is. And whom do you think will be recruited to investigate? The players, of course.

About the Blue Vadeli, instead of saying "One is soon to be born.", how about saying "One will be coming soon." After all, we don't know for sure that blues are born, do we?

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #139