Orlanth at Castle Blue

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 23:00 MET DST

John Brown writes:

>Why? The Battle of Castle Blue was when the Red Goddess proved she was a true
>deity to everybody else including Orlanth.

In about this sequence, I think. Since the battle occurred in the very heart of Carmania, I doubt that Orlanth had more than a guest role in the entire scheme - the Carmanians have a long history of disdain for the Brolians and their puny tribal (or only clan) deity. She did prove herself the equal of the Pelorian deities, like the Jernotian High Seven, or the Dara Happan imperial high guys.

I don't know when (or why) the Orlanthi would have adopted this incident. For about three generations (the first Wane) the Lunar Empire lived without extraordinary hostilities from the Pelorian Orlanthi, and when the Orlanthi and other hill people of southern Peloria began to interact with the expanding empire, it was through Hwarin Dalthippa, the "Conquering Daughter" who had married into the Sylilan Orlanthi and had infused their (Heortling, as per KoS?) culture with Lunar ideas and myths.

(I know that Jannisor did attack the Empire during the First Wane, but I was recently reminded that Jannisor was as much or even more a product of the Sun Domer culture of Vanch and surrounding territories as an "Orlanthi".)

>As far as the continuation of the Battle is concerned, I don't think it
>would. She kicked Orlanth's butt and proved herself.

No. She kicked everybody's butt, not just Orlanth's. Except perhaps Yelm, whose butt she licked (at that time)...

>The Empire and the Red Goddess (before the Monster
>Empire anyway) don't threaten existence and therefore there is no reason to
>continue the Castle Blue battle.

Anybody using the Crimsom Bat the way the Empire did does threaten existence, but so does the use of draconic magics or other super-powered stuff people don't half understand. (Including the Repair of the World Machine and the Reforestation Campaign...)