HeroQuesting

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 00:28:03 +0100

John said:

>Therefore, HeroQuest as Mr. Hughes would have it, cannot be published and
>sold (because I think he would include rules to gain personal insights) so it
>cannot be taken seriously.

 Now, does anyone disagree? If someone *does* have a set of rules that accurately convey the HeroQuesting ideals as laid out in Questlines without managing to get in the way of fun and roleplaying, then I for one would be glad to read them. But I don't think anyone has a set of these rules, nor has any clear idea of what has to be done to make them.

> The next thing to do then is come up with a system
>that would be fun to play (like I said before a combination of SuperRQ and a
>Storytelling game might well be the way to go) and workable.

 Actually, I had many fun games under Steve Maurer's rules. OK, it wasn't anywhere like what the current image of HQ is like, and I no longer use them, but they were *fun*. In the end, that's all that counts. I think the storytelling element is also important, however.  Maybe we won't all be pleased by a certain set of HQ rules, but then with there are a few floating around the HQ community. From Maurer's rules, to Marsh's, to YAHQ's, and both Mike Cule, and Lewis Jardine, have said that they have their own ideas. Maybe they'll put them up on the Net, and then we can pick whatever one we want.

>I then think Mr. Hughes' game is unnecessary

 As a game IMHO opinion it's useless, but the Questlines articles are still good. The first was revelant to HQ IMO, the second was more like an excerpt from the White Wolf line of Storyteller. Which, BTW, means that it's also good.

Paul R.:

> We were playing with Black Moon cultists back around the time Trollpak came
>out. seemed obvious at the time?

 Oo! Any chance of hearing how you played them?

Nick E.

Nick the Shaman of Thed
E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
http://www.u-net.com/~eff/
I thought Britain was Dorastor without broo, but then Sandy made it all clear to me.