Re: Vadeli Encounters

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 19:08:12 -0500

Nick Davison
>Red Vadeli captains would only supervise a ship (on deck) when it

>was out of site of land or other ships.

        I agree with you.

>Brown Vadeli use subtle sorcery spells to cause havoc on enemy

>vessels eg ones that affect sails, the mast, the rudder etc.

        I agree. So do Red, but more obviously. I believe that they cast spells that weaken and snap ropes, rot sails, foul food and water, summon shipworms and gribbles to eat hulls, etc.

        I also think that they employ more awful and complex plots. For instance, just as you moved into your ambush of the Vadeli, you might find that every single crewman who'd drunk in a particular tavern the week before (the one that the Vadeli were staying in, remember?) suddenly begins to unwilling obey the Vadeli's mental commands. Evidently something happened in that tavern that your crewmates didn't remember about.

>I'd find very useful any ideas/details available on Vadeli ships,
>stats for a sample Vadeli sailor, officer etc.

Sandy's Opinion

        Read THE DREAM-QUEST OF UNKNOWN KADATH. Play the Vadeli like the mysterious turbaned traders. Hideous stigmata hidden beneath their clothing ... fat slaves and other suspicious items bought in huge numbers ... never-seen oarsmen who lurk belowdecks ...

Vadeli Ships

        Typical Merchant Ship -- A Vadeli ship looks much like anyone else's ship, but has secrets. Here are some examples of what the Vadeli might do:

Anyway, there's 8 ideas for Vadeli vessels.

Stats for a sample Brown Vadeli sailor

STR 22		Move 3
CON 38		Hit Points 25
SIZ 12		Fatigue 60
INT 19		MPs: 34

POW 17
DEX 21 HLT
r leg	*/9	r arm	*/7
l leg	*/9	l arm	*/7
abdom	*/9	head	*/9
chest	*/10

WEAPON		SR	ATTK/PARR	DAMAGE		PTS
Knife		7	95/95		1d4+20+1d6	9
thrown Knife	2/7	140/--		1d4+1d3+18	9
R Fist		7	85/85		1d3+1d6 + Tap	--
L Fist		7	75/75		1d3+1d6 + Tap	--
Kick		7	65/--		1d6+1d6	+ Tap	--
Head Butt	7	65/--		1d4+1d6 + Tap	--
Grapple		7	65		1d6 + Tap	--

Dodge: 140

NOTES: The knife is iron, but plated with bronze, so it does not look valuable. It has a Damage Boost 18 on it.

        When using natural weapons, he can choose one of these three options: Grapple; punch twice and head butt; or punch once and kick once. All attacks are simultaneous. In addition, any hit by any of his natural weapons causes a Tap POW spell to go off, affecting the target if his MPs are overcome. See above for details.

DEFENSES: wears no armor, but any weapon striking him sets off a Tap POW vs. the weapon's wielder.

        Finally, the SR after any injury to the Vadeli is marked by an instant healing of all damage in that location. This healing costs the Vadeli 1 MP for every pt healed. A severed limb is still severed.

MAGIC: in addition to the spells above, he is a Magus, with all appropriate spells and skills. Most spells are in matrices embroidered onto the inside of his turban, cloak, pantaloons, where they are invisible to the casual observer.

Stats for a sample Red Vadeli warrior
STR 52		Move 5
CON 68		Hit Points 43
SIZ 18		Fatigue 120
INT 19		MPs: 34

POW 17
DEX 21 HLT
r leg	*/15	r arm	*/11
l leg	*/15	l arm	*/11
abdom	*/15	head	*/15
chest	*/18

WEAPON		SR	ATTK/PARR	DAMAGE		PTS
RH Rapier	4	185/185		1d6+1 + 3d6	12
LH Rapier	7	140/140		1d6+1 + 3d6	12
Comp Bow	1/5/9	185/40		1d10+1		8

NOTES: remember that a rapier impale does 3d6+3.

        When one of his Rapiers hits a target location, it sets it on fire as per a 1d6. This is only a 1d6-damage fire, but it keeps burning. Armor protects vs. this fire for the first round (only).

        If the composite bow penetrates armor, the target hit location is attacked with a Wither (as per the Pocharngo Rune spell).

DEFENSES: he wears no armor, but any weapon striking him sparks, dulls, and loses 1d6 armor points at once. In addition, he has a Reflect Damage effect on him -- calculate the total damage done to him, and match his MPs vs. that damage. If he overcomes the damage, it is reflected back at his attacker, who takes the damage to _his_ corresponding hit location instead. If the victimized attacker has defensive magic up (like Countermagic), the reflected damage acts as an incoming spell with MPs equal to the damage, and so can be blocked by sufficient Countermagic. A defensive Reflect spell will bounce the damage back at the Vadeli.

        In addition, this Red Vadeli regenerates from damage at the rate of 1d6 pts per turn per hit location until dead.

MAGIC: in addition to the spells above, he is a Magus, with all appropriate spells and skills. Most spells are in matrices embroidered onto the inside of his vest, cap, loinwrap, etc. , where they are invisible to the casual observer.

Sandy P.