Re: Vadeli amorality

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 19:36:06 -0500

Peter Metcalfe
>>The Vadeli are _amoral_ rather than immoral. They do not regard
>>what they do as evil because they are _beyond_ good and evil.

Sandy P.

> I do not agree. They are immoral and evil (so the rumors say). They
>do not regard what they do as evil because they are so steeped in
>sin that their consciences are dead.

Peter Metcalfe
>Which puts us in agreement rather than disagreement.

Okay. I'm still struggling against the possibility that I and Peter are in agreement. Here is my case:

        Peter says they are amoral. I say they are immoral.

        Peter says they are beyond good and evil. I say they are not, but that long practice of evil has numbed their conscience, so that they can no longer tell the difference.

        Peter says toMAYto. I say toMAHto.

Peter says they do not choose to do bad acts "because it is evil", but because it benefits them. I think that they originally chose to do bad acts for this reason, but now it is second nature to them.

Sample Vadeli personality template -- read William's WAR IN HEAVEN. Model the Vadeli after the Greek.

Loren Miller, in horror, says
>This whole idea of Vadeli converts seems outrageous. Some questions

>that spring to mind...

>1. How do converted Vadeli turn the right color?

        Just like in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. Or THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH. Or the film ANGELHEART. Or INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

        Picture a man who does a task for the Vadeli, then to his horror sees liverish spots begin to speckle the back of his hands. After some time of frantically trying avoid the awful fate, one day he confronts the Vadeli captain. "I refuse to become a Vadeli! I would rather die! Spare me!" The captain shows him a mirror. "But look! You are already a Vadeli." To his horror, he sees that he has wholly transformed. The captain grins, and makes a final remark. "And the Vadeli _cannot_ die."

>2. Has anybody written an anecdote of a known Vadeli convert, seen

>before and then seen after conversion?

        I'm not sure you'd recognize them.

>3. If people convert *to* the ways of Vadel, then it must be
>possible to convert *from* Vadelism.

        Why?

>Anybody know of any ex-Vadeli? Any ex-Blue Vadeli?

        There are _only_ ex-Blue Vadeli. No originals.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #143