Equal Rites

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 17:45:07 +0100

Me:
> >Do you need to quantify the effect of the great rituals as spells [...]?
And Michael R:
> Well looking at your (very good) examples, i'd say that the Big Ritual *is*
> a 'spell' with profound impact on the world. The fertility ritual, which
> gives the crop fields more Life Power as Ernalda and the Grain Sister and
> Barntar are worshipped and sacrificed to, is the main 'spell' which Bless
> Crops is merely a pale and weaker reflection of. Remember that a worship
> ceremony is also a heroquest.

Ugh, I was perhaps not clear enough. What I meant was, should we specify the exact effects of the Big Rituals (further suggestions have been made in that vein) or should we just wing it as a campaign tool? And if the MAIN effects of magic is carried out through these rituals, then the idea of "one Bless Crop for each field" becomes unnecessary, and everyone and his uncle does not carry Divine Magic - it becomes icing on the cake for special people. I think I like that idea.

But when it comes to the detailing of these rituals - I'm unsure. Things that are given numbers are usually given importance as well. (Sidenote; I always thought it was easier winging it if you had rules for a situation but DID NOT USE THEM, just thought something like "what's the probable outcome of this according to rule X?" and "do I LIKE that outcome?")
On the other hand isn't this a situation where winging can be a very good method?
I must check out Nils's rules before I say anything else.

> If
> the Fertility Ritual fails, can anybody in the clan cast Bless Crops? Or
> does a failed ritual weaken, but not inhibit, the power of the associated
> spells?

Interesting question, which leads to another one: In game terms, do you have to (among other things) succeed in your Ceremony skill to get you Worship Deity to work? If it is totally unrelated, what's then the use of the skill? If it IS dependent, then boy are we in trouble. (Not to mention all the pissed-off animal spirits floating around. Few hunters and herders have Butchery and Ceremony high enough to ensure they won't fail their Peaceful Cut). This question is perhaps better discussed on the Rules digest, which means I'll have to actually READ it again. Damn! :-) (And before any bandwidth is wasted: Yes, I know the rules cannot exactly emulate the world, but I want them to do it with some modium of success.)

Erik Sieurin