Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 18:13:56 +0100

David Dunham:
> I imagine in Sweden there's seldom a problem having enough snow.
You would be surprised, but there is. Especially Southern Sweden can be virtually snowless and still be very cold, and the earth gets frozen deep enough to cause trouble. I suspect people could call on Valind to protect them during cold winters; better to have the brightest of Vadrus kids around as "king" while the real King Orlanth is away in the Underworld (sorta like King John Lackland, with Elmal as Robin Hood :-)), than let his blood-brother Himile and his hollri demons have free reins.

As a matter of fact, snow makes it much lighter as well. The woods are dark in winter; snow does much to actually lighten them up. (My mother, who HATES winter, always long for the first great snowfall so that she will have more light when she goes to work early in the morning.) Another way of fighting foreign Darkness with Darkness you are slightly related to!

Then, Swedes (as well as other Northerners in general) have one MAJOR reason to dislike snowless winters: I think every winter there is at least one MAJOR sports event cancelled or moved because of the lack of snow, or at least made much more expensive. I doubt this is the case in Glorantha, though - especially in Dragon Pass.

I think that in DP Valind is seen as a "last resort" those winters when it do get really cold; winter with snow is better than winter without snow. Also, the Wind Children worship him extensively.

I have some legends and stuff of Valind, mostly in my head, since some guys in my campaign actually worship the bastard. I'm doing some revisions at the moment, as well as trying to spin the tale of how Barntar, Voriof and Odayla went to rescue their little sister from the Winter Giant while their Daddy was away on his quest in the Underworld. I'll tell it to you when I'm finished.

Erik Sieurin

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #146