Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #140

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 19:08 MET DST

Sandy Petersen

gives some information from his East Isles stuff. More, pretty please...

I said
>>Elder Races Book has next to nothing on Ludoch culture and daily
>>life, and nothing at all about any of the other races.

> Mainly because it's hard for mermen to be PCs, or even
>interact with them much. They're stuck being mysterious entities of
>the sea.

Unless you have a Rightarm Isles campaign taking place in boats, I can see the problem - lately I had to referee a convention game with a centaur PC, and there went my island climbing scenario, I had to settle for the Sartarite/Praxian border.

An entire underseas campaign would be very exotic, but perhaps there could be a one-off for conventions. Anyone feel inspired?

> Current interactions of Merfolk with humanity are many:

> 2) The Ludoch of Kethaela have some kind of plans kindling.
>Note that the Admiral of Rightarm betrayed the other states of
>Kethaela in their war vs. the Lunars, and later had his fleet sunk by
>the Wolf Pirates. But the mermen were untouched by this defeat. With
>the defeat of the Admiral, it's clear that the balance of power in
>Rightarm has passed from the humans to the mermen. Now they are in
>charge. The proximity of Three Step Isle is indicative, IMO.

This has left me greatly puzzled.

Ok, I did know that the Rightarm isles are effectively run by the Ludoch. The Islander admiral has nominal control of all the fleet (except small local contingents in Heortland and certain Esrolian ports) and is respected by most of the fisherfolk spread around the Mirrorsea Bay (including the shores of Heortland, Esrolia, and Caladraland, although I am less sure about those of the God Forgot Isles).

I did not know that the Ludoch did forsake their historical allies at any point - the Wolf Pirate success over the Pharaonic navy was possible even with mermen support of the Holy Country, IMO, especially if Peter Metcalfe is right about Harrek having been there with a bunch of fresh Ygglinga (which is difficult to reconcile with his sack of Sog a year later - apparently from the land, with mercenary support from the upper Janube valley). Key to this success were Orstando's sea sorcerers, IMO, who would have been able to conjure strange (Neleomi sea type) weather in the Mirrorsea Bay to cover the Wolf Pirate actions, and then mobility, leading to local advantage of sheer numbers, and fighting spirit.

What puzzled me most is Sandy's sequence of events. The Kethaelan fleet is sunk in 1616, three years before any Lunar move south from Sartar. Of course the mermen were largely untouched by this defeat - what are ships to them?

Do you hint at an alliance between the Rightarm Ludoch and the Wolf Pirates? What would the Ludoch gain from this shift of alliances?