The New Game

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 23:59:48 +0100

In glorantha-digest v3#139 Eric Rowe reminds us all

>Please do not bother David Hall with any questions or requests. Address
>all questions to Chaosium. Chaosium planned the system and what it wants
>in the rulebook. David is commissioned to finalise and write it.
>
>Please also hold questions until guidelines are out.

indeed, I'm not sure the Glorantha Digest is the appropriate place to discuss mechanics (though for the record I agree with Mike Cule _AND_ all those who said thats not how personality traits should work!).

A suitable topic for discussion may be where the new game is to be set as a "default" campaign start. Their have been three RQ "Starter Campaigns", 2 of which have been Gloranthan. "Borderlands" started all characters as mercanaries in the Grantlands. This allowed characters to come from a wide variety of backgrounds/cults/areas. "Dorastor" started characters as Orlanthi or related barbarians, transplanted to the risklands, where they become part of the community. This has the advantages of "Community" and needing to fit in, while avoiding the problems of new players not knowing anything about the area or people where their characters have grown up. (The non-gloranthan example is "Vikings" where characters start off as a family/clan in a viking stead). The type of game you prefer will dictate the type of setting you will prefer.

One of the things Greg was suggesting at Convulsion was the idea of a "Pick up and Play" book, where the "First volume" might be set as a Sartarite clan, while a subsequent volume might be set as a Lunar army unit, so that new players knowledge of the world grows with the rules. If this is still part of the plans then having a dozen volumes ready/planned before the first one is printed is almost vital!

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Everything I tell You Three times is true                               |