Flower People and Heavy Dudes

From: David B. Henderson <db.henderson_at_dcs.napier.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 13:12:20 +0100 (BST)

Neil Smith writes of Elves.

Excellent work. I think that the elves actions might seem even more bizarre to humans than implied, perhaps not quite Dragonewt bizarre, but up there with the Mostali, certainly. The elves, and all Aldryami, are not only working for the individual forest, by my reckoning, but for THE Forest, the one that once and will again cover the world, as the Mostali try to fix The Machine.

So: most of the time, elves wander about talking to trees, smelling flowers, and making Trolls fertilizer. Then sometimes they suddenly up sticks and go and get the Sacred Leaf of Garglefag from some forgotten temple somewhere, so as to ensure that this Great Cycle the fertility of the forest is assured. And then, every so often, they go and plant a swathe of countryside miles from their forest with lovely, fast-growing trees and shrubs. Or invade a Mostali stronghold, kill as many as they can, sabotage everything they can reach, and withdraw, thus slowing the Maker's progress, allowing Grower to get the upper hand again.

Martin Laurie suggest Gagarth has a role within Orlanthi society.

I thought that sociopaths etc in Orlanthi society, after they had gone beyond even the Bull's bounds, became Uraini. What is the difference between Urain and Gagarth, apart from the Chaotic taint? Or am I confused and bewildered?

Or is the progression Orlanth - Storm bull - Gagarth - Urain?

Or is Urain completely unrelated?

While we're on the subject: Argrath - Garrath - Gagarth? I think I need some coffee :)

David Henderson