Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #142

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 18:43 MET DST

Sandy Petersen expounds on elemental sequence.

> Storm defeats Water
> Earth defeats Storm
> Evidence of Storm > Water dominance is as follows:

> 1) The storm gods have captured the clouds and own them as
>part of their domain.

They rule from their mountain tops, too.

> 2) Certain important water deities, especially Magasta, have
>married storm gods (i.e., Brastalos).

Give me two other examples, and I will believe you.

Do you mean that by marrying an outsider the future husband is defeated? Like Storm Bull - Eiritha or Orlanth - Ernalda, or Malkion - Britha?

> 3) In the Gods War, the Storm Gods raped or married a number
>of sea spirits, and the merman even today are generally
>air-breathers. (The marriages spawned the Cetoi, the rapes the
>Piscoi; accounting for their different attitudes towards
>air-breathers)

They raped a whole lot more land/earth spirits, and their offspring (a good part of the "Wareran" humans of southwestern Genertela) still breathe air.

I suppose that earth got defeated by storm, too: Stormwalk Mountain by Storm Bull, all of northern Fronela, Peloria, and Pent by Valind.

> 1) Orlanth married Ernalda. He is the most "tame" of all, and
>has gained a great deal of responsibility and respect.

Ok, so he lost...

> 2) Storm Bull married Eiritha. Though still able to throw a
>mean punch, his fighting abilities are today directed mostly vs. clan
>enemies, not anybody at random.

Another big loser...

> 3) Keraun is the goddess of storm for Pamalt, and she dwells
>in Pamalt's household -- plainly she has been conquered by him. Most
>Doraddi say she's a concubine, but sometimes she's called a handmaid.

Don't forget Molanni, who married Yelm (well, sort of) - now there is a loser.

>The only unwed former storm god who
>is more-or-less acceptable is Humakt, who purposely destroyed his
>Storm connections.

And the countless good winds, like Bingista? Kolat?

Sandy's short Storm Prosopaedia:
You surprised me with Xamalk.

> _Tien_ = who later became Thanatar. He was a Storm deity,
>possibly even a pre-Eiritha descendent of the Bull himself.

A son or grandson of Ragnaglar, according to the cult write-up, thus a nephew or grand-nephew of the bull.

> _Solar Storm_ = an opponent of Shavaya (an early Kralori
>emperor), who was defeated when the Kralori Emperor opened the
>Storm's blinded third (inner) eye.

The Kralori _Sun_ Emperor, wasn't it?

I missed Entekos in your listing of air/storm deities, too.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #149