Re: G:tRPG Wish List

From: Gbaji_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 02:53:19 -0400

I agree with Paul that a "historical Sartar" milieu would be a splendid choice for G:tRPG, perhaps as a basic setting in the vein of PENDRAGON's Salisbury.

I would prefer, however, G:tRPG focus on a hither-to underexplored aspect of Glorantha as its default milieu. Theyalan Sartar is arguably the cultural region best known and of broadest appeal to most Gloranthaphiles, but perhaps the time has come to break with tradition and embrace a new beginning rather than just rehashing the past.

I know you're thinking now would be a good time to string me up as a Trickster, but allow me to play Wakboth's Advocate for just one more moment. I am not suggesting that G:tRPG should move entirely away from the established lore, but a fresh viewpoint can and should be interjected in some way.

The change could be as simple as a geographic move from Sartar to Aggar or a cultural shift from Orlanthi to Provincial Tarshite. It could also entail radical changes in the entire cultural, regional and historical background, from a setting based in the Ralios of Arkat's Dark Empire to the Dara Happa of pre-Lunar Third Age to the "modern day" Pamaltela.

I concur with Paul that a series of sourcebooks on the order of PAGAN SHORE and BEYOND THE WALL are needed to cover the various and diverse cultures and regions of Glorantha. In addition, however, is the need to cover the various periods of Gloranthan "history". Imperium Games, the publishers of the current iteration of Marc Miller's TRAVELLER, are planning something comparable and it sounds to me like an idea worth examining.

Long live the Undead Trout!

Michael Schwartz
gbaji_at_aol.com