Boristi Church

From: Ingo Tschinke <tschinke_at_nord.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 19:11:00 +0200

Hi,=20

some time ago I have had a discussion with Peter Metcalfe, Sandy Petersen and some other guys on digest concerning the Boristi church. I have made the following description for the LARP 'Rise of Ralios' and I promised to publish the result on digest one time. Here they are! The description is written to show only the light side of the squids in their own sight of things. They try to build up such a picture of their church for new converts, so not everything in this description is a matter of fact or describe the truth. Nevertheless there are a lot of hidden secrets which are not easly revealed to new converts. =20

The Holy Church of Borist

History
The Holy Church of Borist was founded by the holy monk Quantan van deen Borist during the Gbajii wars. He realised that the minions of the devil, who is also known as Gbajii, tried to seduce the people of Ralios into believing in the demonic heresies of their master. To combat this evil he founded the Holy Order of Borist. One of his followers was a knight from the West named Arkat. He was one of the great heroes of that time. He revealed the secret of the evil minions to Borist, thus furthering their destruction. This secret is called enlightment. Enlightment made it easier for the fighters against chaos to comprehend the hellish motives of demons. But it also bore the risk of falling prey to demonic ways. Therefore, Quantan van deen Borist developed the the ceremony of cleansing. It protected all members of his church against the snares of the devil by granting deliverance to a pure, happy heart. Whoever succumbs to believing in strange gods or false prophets is barred from salvation and damned to eternal doom. He also tought to tap the life power of chaotic beings. In the process, these creatures` forms are destroyed and what little good they had in them is saved from destruction. This is how the enemies of chaos found the strength to destroy Gbajii.

Since this time, the fighters against Chaos have fought against the spread of the demonic teachings of the demon Gbajii in all of Ralios. Chaos is everywhere to be found and whoever did not undergo the ceremony of cleansing of Borist is bearing chaos within himself all the time. Arkat had by that time defected to heathen babarians. He tried to rally them to the destruction of the devila as he had promised to Quantan van deen Borist. But he became a traitor and demon himself in the fight against chaos in the end. He returned to Ralios and built his own demonic Dark Empire. Only few saw him for what he now was a demon of Gbajii the devil.

The Hoy Church of Borist was forced to withdraw far to the east of Railos from where theit Order cotinued ist fight against chaos. The minions of chaos stove all the time to destroy the Boristi. But the Boristi kept their secrets to themselves and never where lured away from their path to salvation. They where aware of the devils continued existence and were vigliant all the time. Boristi are certain of the devil=B4s return in which=  he
will try to take revenge on all those who opposed him, especially the=  Boristi.

When the Godlearners came to Railos, the Boristi realised that they could destroy the demonic Dark Empire in an alliance with the wizards. They assisted in destroing the heathen Orlanthi, but their hunger for knowledge destroyed them in the end. The wizards became servants of the devil themselves. The Boristi sensed the betrayal of the Godlearners and founded the Secret Register of the Boristi. Only a member of the register may partake in the innermost secrets of the Boristi. The Secret Register soon was feared by the Godlearners. Being yellow wizards, the godlearners loathed open battle. The Holy Church of the Boristi had to dispatch their fighter on covert missions to kill their enemies in secret. This is how the Order of Boristi Assassins was founded.

Theology

Ther is only one God who is called the Invisible God and Malkion and Hrestol are his prophets. There are no other gods save Him. The devil exists in and around all beings in the world. Only those who submit themselves to the Ceremony of Cleansing by the priests of Borist are free of Chaos. Their sins are forgiven and they shall recieve the happiness of the heart. It is the holy goal of our Church to destroy chaos and the devil. To this end, we deploy several means:
1. the Holy Order of the Knights of Borist Those are the prominent fighters against chaos. They do not know the fear and confusion caused by chaos. It is their task to defend the Holy Church against all infidels amongst the Malkioni.=20 2. the Holy Order of Assassins of Borist It is their task to fight in covert actions the hidden demons who go about their business amongst ordinary men. They destroy the Holc Church`s secret enemies.
3. the Holy Priests of Borist
The priests of Borist cleanse the common people of sin and develish influences. They drain the life power of the devil and cast back the sins of the devil on himself so the people may be free of sin. We follow the law of Malkion because we do not destroy that which we love but only our enemies. Therefore we consider the tapping a just way of destroing creatures of chaos and the enemies of the Holy Church of Borist, who are minions of the devil.=20
We believe in the existence of four castes which are peasant, knight, priest and lord. Everyone was born into his caste. To strive to leave one=B4s caste is a contradiction of Malkion=B4s rule. Only Holy Men may partake in a=  change
of caste. The enemy of the Invisible God is called the devil, also known as Gbajii the deciever and tyrant. He is leading a demonis host of depraved chaos-gods. Chaos is wicked and constantly strives to destroy the faith in the Invisible God. Arkat the deciever is one of its demons who will eventually return like his master the devil. We shall destroy him then. There are always who are to weak to resist chaos and who fall prey to the snares of the devil. They are cleansed by the Holy Fire of Borist of their=  sins.
Womenfolk are weak-willed and feeble bodied in comparison to men. It is the resposibility of men to look after and to provide for them. Women may never do the work of a knight or a priest lest their souls will be serously=  harmed.

Hierarchy

The Great Master of the Holy Church of Borist in Borin is the Leader of our church. He has the power to nominate Great Knights and Master Assassins of the Church and to remove them from their posts if they should ever break the law of the Holy Church. The priests of the Church are his helpers who assist him in providing peace and salvation for the souls of the faithful.

Important saints

Malkion the Prophet
It was Malkion who brought the word of the Invisible God to the people. He showed them the way to survive the Great Darkness. He tought us the law and how the people had to live in four different castes.

Hrestol the Prophet
This prophet revealed to all how the Brithini erred in their rigid interpretation of Malkion=B4s law. His deeds of self-sacrifice demonstrate=  to
all how we are able to achieve our eternal salvation through the happiness of the heart. He is also revered for teaching us the concepts of honor and knighthood.=20

St. Quantan van deen Borist
He is the Holy Founder of our Church whose teachings and regulations are fundamental to our Church. He gave to us the Ceremony of Cleansing to free us from sin and chaos. He showed us to tap the depraved creatures of chaos to destroy them. He is a glorious example for all we aspire.=20

St. Redial of Borin
He was a Great Knight of the Holy Church of Borist who proved that chaos had no means to withstand the vigor of the Knights of Borist. He killed scores of chaotic things during the Gbajii wars and founded the realm of Borin.

Attitudes towards other sects

Rokari
This church has turned its back on the concept of freedom and peace for all peoples. They deny the existence of the lower gods and the chaotic host of the devil. Thus they fell prey to sin themselves. They try to destroy the Boriti with their demonic inquisition.

Hrestoli
The Hrestoli break the law of Malkion because they preach the abolishment of the castes. They doubt the existence of other gods. This makes them blind for the peace among the peoples. They will also succumb to chaos, if they do not convert themselves soon.

Galvosti
This Church is most closely related to ours, but they avoid contact with us, believing in demonic promting that we are evil. But there has always been a peacful coexistence among our Church and the Church of Nomia.

The Henotheistic Church of Azilos
The Count of Azilos is the head of this "church". He claims to be an heir of Arkat. He thereby denounces himself to be the offspring of a demon ! His "church" is evil and has to be destroyed.

The Henotheistic Church of Otkorion
This church is promoting heresy by claiming Orlanth one of the lower gods was the Invisible God himself. These Henotheist are no Malkioni but followers of the lower gods, who spread heretic follies.

The Stygian Church of Naskorion
This church believes in Arkat the deciever as a saint. They claim Arkat had founded their church after his return thus dening the demonic nature of Arkat. This sect is spawn of the devil and must cease to exist !

This description was translated by Helge Reuter. Thanks to him.

Ingo Tschinke

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #151