RQ Fonts; rites; sakkar

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 12:01:02 -0700

Guy Hoyle wanted a copy of the RQ TrueType font.

This font (by Oliver Jovanovic) is available from my Web site. I also have a variant of this font, RQ Rough (by Jim Catel), which has the same keyboard layout but has rough edges and resembles a carved version.

Bill McKinley wrote

> To add to the rites of passage list, what about voting age and retirement
>age?

Ritirement is a rite -- there's a ceremony, gold watch, etc. Voting age is not. There's nothing special involved -- you don't invite all your friends and brag about how you can now vote.

Remember, lots of ceremonies are not only about the person getting a new status, they're about letting the community know. The Prime Minister (or Archbishop, or whoever) didn't just hand Elizabeth the crown and say, "OK, you're queen now," the huge public ceremony let the whole Commonwealth know. This is why funerals are rites of passage -- you're presumably aware of your new status, but your friends and family still need the ceremony.

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> A Sakkar is a Sabre-toothed Tiger.

Just to remind people, a good place to look for obscure stuff like the is <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/creatures.html> where I've tried to collect all sorts of creatures which aren't in the Gloranthan Bestiary. (Sakkars are, but not under that name.)

Some of the postings are getting a little less than civil of late. Surely we can have differences of opinion without personal attacks (and if not, those can be made in person, or at least e-mail). I'd hate for a newcomer to Glorantha to be scared off by the tone of the Digest.