Re: obscure triviae

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 96 19:42:46 -0500

Peter Metcalfe

>The Five Usurpers from Ignorance? Are the other four the Shadow

>Cancer, Secret Waters, Earth Eater and Star Permutator?

        Yes.

Joerg asks sweetly
>give some information from East Isles stuff. pretty please...

        What kind of thing would you like?

Me
>2) the Admiral of Rightarm betrayed the rest of Kethaela, and later
>had his fleet sunk by the Wolf Pirates. It's clear that the balance
>of power in Rightarm has passed from the humans to the mermen. Now
>they are in charge.

Joerg puzzles
>Ok, I did know that the Rightarm isles are effectively run by the
>Ludoch. The Islander admiral has nominal control of all the fleet

        Yes. His power is far lessened now.

>I did not know that the Ludoch did forsake their historical allies
>at any point - the Wolf Pirate success over the Pharaonic navy was
>possible even with mermen support of the Holy Country,

        They did not have to forsake their allies. They fought at the destruction of the navy, and carried many, if not most, of the losing sailors to safety ashore.

>What puzzled me most is Sandy's sequence of events. The Kethaelan
>fleet is sunk in 1616, three years before any Lunar move south from
>Sartar.

        I misspoke -- the betrayal of the Lunar admiral was during the Kethaelan civil war. There was Lunar meddling in the war, but not an troop invasion.

>Of course the mermen were largely untouched by this defeat - what
>are ships to them?

        Ships are items of worth to land-dwellers -- they can be used to achieve and maintain domination over the humans by controlling ship numbers or access. And the fact that the mermen would be untouched by such a defeat was known to the mermen before the battle.

>Do you hint at an alliance between the Rightarm Ludoch and the Wolf
>Pirates?

        Not necessarily -- it could be a plot among the Ludoch alone.

>What would the Ludoch gain from this shift of alliances?

        What _have_ they gained? The wreck of the City of Wonders. The elimination of the Holy Country's fleet. The destruction of any means of convenient communication between the various factions of the Holy Country, thus tending to break up and disunify the factions even more -- from which some factions have suffered more than others (notably the Esrolians).