Re: rite of passage

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:10:40 +1000 (EST)

> Hi All,
>
> Our rites of passage have been so far listed as: Marriage, Driver's Liscence,
> and Drinking Age. I wish to point out another very important, one; At twelve
> years of age we are given our first real rifle, and instructed in it's use.

Fortunately (IMHO) that's not the case in Australia (with every person I know), and maybe less again in the future (less than 0?) with the stricter gun legislation under way.
I'm happy with the Marriage as a "universal"; less universal are DL and DA; outside the warzones of US, Boznia, Beirut, Afghanistan et al, I don't see guns are big.

I'm sure you can do it by cultures: Orlanthi RoP vs Holy Country RoP vs ... In general though: birth, 'coming of age'/adult, marriage, old age, death Some people (like Merlin) like to do things backwards or in different orders:-)

Robert McArthur
oxymoroning by outing himself on the gun issue