otters passing rites

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:54:00 -0700

Joerg!

 Three points for knowing the word "mustelid"! (adjective for the noun Mustelidae, the family name for weasels, skunks, otters, wolverines, badgers, etc.) In English, yet.
I agree - they would make very poor eating. (Sea otters have very little fat - they rely exclusively on their fur to keep warm and buoyant. Not sure about river otters, though.) I imagine, like many predators, they carry a high parasite load as well. (Of course, _are_ there internal parasites in Glorantha?)

I did like the idea about using otter peices parts for magics and rituals. Quite appropriate.

Saravan:

> what do the chaotics do at Sacred Time? Obviously they take part
in their world breaking rituals, but what about practical action? Do they
disrupt other Sacred rituals by storming in and raising steads while all the tough guys from the clans are away?

Why not? Sounds like MGF. Perhaps that's one reason Orlanthi persecute them so heavily throughout the year - to keep their numbers down. During Sacred Time, _everyone_ (even those bizzare Pelorians), are performing mythic re-enactments. Thus, it's easier to find a foe - you're likely to draw one into one of your rituals - likely someone performing the opposite ritual. I imagine that a bigger group has a stronger "pull". So a large clan or city preforming a ritual might actually interfere in another's ritual. Apparently, the Lunars can do this reliably.

>Maybe the Lightbringers would gain some spiritual warning from their lands
when
enemies approach so they can go fight 'em.

In one of my games, the PC's were tricked into participating in a kind of "Hill of Gold" ritual, defeating the local Zorak Zorani in the process. As far as they can tell, some unknown, shapeshifting being led them to it....

RITES OF PASSAGE Others include: baby showers and bachelor parties, baptisms, inductions into societies (churches, scouting, etc), and graduations.

Pam