Higg's Boofhead

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 19:58:51 +1000

G'day all,

Martin Crim:
> Well, I don't know if it means anything, but it's fun. Looks like we're
> missing an earth deity. I'd like to call it The Higg's Boson.
>[flogging of a dead horse continues...]

MOB: >>I don't geddit. Is there a joke here that I have missed?

>Yes. It's a particle physics joke, and if you don't get it there's no point
>in explaining it.

Well, *pardon me* for existing Martin! Would you reply in the same way if a keen but ignorant newcomer to the Digest asked a similar question like, "Who are these god learners lots of you are talking about?" or are you just an intellectual snob when it comes to particle physics? (Thanks Bob Luckin for explaining to me what it actually is, and yes, even a thicko ex-elementary teacher like me understood perfectly: I've got another one just for you Martin - 'Higg's Boofhead', it's a poke-fun-at-particle- physics-snobs joke and if you don't get it, there's no point explaining it...)

>And what the hell is the horse-flogging about?

The numerous Higg's [whatever] jokes that were posted following your post, obviously! To paraphrase your own words, if you haven't heard of the colloquial expression 'flogging a dead horse' there's no point explaining it.

Lewis:
>Soldiers of the Red Moon: I suggest that MOB should answer any questions
>on this one since he wrote it! MOB have AH talked to you?
No, not since December 1995, and then it was but a single line.

Cheers

MOB