Re: Elemental Domination

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 20:26:19 -0500

> Evidence of Storm > Water dominance is as follows:

> 1) The storm gods have captured the clouds and own them as

>part of their domain.

Joerg
>They rule from their mountain tops, too.

        Mountains exemplify _resistance_ to storm and wind. They, above all, do NOT succumb to the winds. The winds are stronger near the top of a mountain obviously because they are further from the ground -- that huge source of Earth power. What could make the primacy of Earth over Storm more obvious? Only a knave could fail to see it.

> 2) Certain important water deities, especially Magasta, have

>married storm gods (i.e., Brastalos).

Joerg
>Give me two other examples, and I will believe you.

        I don't have to give you any examples at all. The fact that Brastalos's domination of Magasta demonstrates storm over sea is a published fact. Nonetheless, I will do so: six of the seven tribes of merfolk descend from matings between Storm gods and Sea goddesses in four of which the Storm gods overpowered their partners despite a fight. In two cases the partners were willing, but still subordinate. There's six examples for you.

        More evidence -- the storm gods have captured many water gods and brought them out of their native element to perform useful functions in the air -- examples include Iphara, goddess of Fog; Heler, god of rain; Keraun, goddess of Clouds, etc. How many Storm Gods are held captive beneath the waves?

>Do you mean that by marrying an outsider the future husband is
>defeated? Like Storm Bull - Eiritha or Orlanth - Ernalda, or Malkion
>- Britha?

        Generally, yes. Eiritha and Ernalda certainly tamed their husbands, and many myths tell about this fact.

>They raped a whole lot more land/earth spirits, and their offspring
>(a good part of the "Wareran" humans of southwestern Genertela)
>still breathe air.

        Nonsense -- they got tamed and ended up marrying the earth spirits, then found themselves guarding their brides, and even turning against their own kin to protect the Earth. It's pretty clear who won here.

>I suppose that earth got defeated by storm, too: Stormwalk Mountain
>by Storm Bull, all of northern Fronela, Peloria, and Pent by Valind.

        Stormwalk Mountain is where Storm Bull lives. It's not conquered territory. Northern Fronela, Peloria, and Pent is a cold place. That doesn't mean it's "defeated" by Valind any more than the warmth of the East Isles means it's been "defeated" by Yelm.

>Tien: A son or grandson of Ragnaglar, according to the cult
>write-up, thus a nephew or grand-nephew of the bull.

        Only if you accept the far-from-certain belief that Ragnaglar was a son of Umath, one of the original Storms. Rather than a grandson, crossbreed, or other possibility.

>_Solar Storm_ = an opponent of Shavaya (an early Kralori

>emperor), who was defeated when the Kralori Emperor opened the

>Storm's blinded third (inner) eye.

Joerg
>The Kralori _Sun_ Emperor, wasn't it?

        Yeah, so? I was reported Solar Storm's adventure not as a means of showing Earth domination over him, but as an example of a "bad" storm god, like they all used to be in the good old days.

Sandy

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #163