Re: Circle of Dominance

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 20:37:59 -0500

Russ Massey

>I'm still not too convinced by Sandy's reply that had Darkness
>dominant over Earth. Are there any specific mythic reasons for this
>claim?

        Yes.

  1. When the Dark Gods came to the Earth's Surface, they kicked ass on the Earth pantheon. They killed Aldrya, Ernalda, and all the land goddesses. They invaded Pamaltela and defeated the native Gods up until Pamalt achieved what is perceived as a miraculous victory.
  2. Even today, the creatures of darkness display domination over the Earth. Crops are eaten by insects. Fungus growths devour seeds and grain. Earth goddesses require specific protectors to survive through the Winter -- such as Yelm (Dendara), Orlanth (Ernalda), Waha (Eiritha), or Dragons (Rice Mother).
  3. The most obvious feature of the Darkness is that the gods of Light were vastly weakened at the outset, with Yelm murdered. We know that Fire > Dark, so this explains why Dark was so strong during this period. Of course, all the remaining gods of Earth, Storm, and Sea fought back vs. the Dark. But look what happened -- the Storm and Sea gods managed to get through the Darkness, and still rule vast parts of the world. But the Earth goddesses were so crippled that practically none of Genertela is still "ruled" by Earth deities. Esrolia is the only sizable exception, and that state manages by balancing off several different "protector" gods against one another, so the largest remaining pantheon is still the Earth. It's different in Pamaltela, but that continent was not overrun by the Dark, so Earth element managed to survive.

        Plus any schoolboy knows that a shade can beat a gnome.

Sandy P.