Re: Rokari Castes

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 20:53:48 -0500

Andrew Mellinger
>"Most of the Wizards study in the Rokari Monasteries." How much is
>most? 80%?

        As many as your campaign wants there to be.

>What happen to the rest?

        They study individually or under other wizards.

>Would a powerful wizard train his sons and keep a household of
>servants and child-bearing peasants?

        Train his sons -- if he has the time and inclination. Otherwise he can farm it out.

	Keep servants -- you bet, if he can afford it.
	Keep child-bearing peasants -- why?

>Does the military maintain a wizard legion?
Kind of. There are wizards assigned to the military, but
they're not (yet) organized into separate units. Instead, a Battle of knights typically has a number of wizards who service that Battle.

>It hints in places that Rokar wizards are not allowed to use weapons
>(and armor), but it isn't explicitly stated as a sin. Is there a
>small subset of common weapons they can use?

        I believe that the technical limits are that they may not bear any clothing meant for battle (interpreted to mean armor containing metal), or any weapon made for battle (tools, staffs, and hunting weapons are okay).

>Are all wizards priests? If not, how do their roles differ.

        No. Priests are religious functionaries. Wizards need not be.

>If so, what are the roles of Wizard priests in Rokari society?

        They are priests who have useful magic.