Divers Argraths

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 11:52:43 +1200

Jonas Klaiberl(?):

>Reading the "King of Sartar" and the RuneQuest stuff covering Pavis and
>the Zola Fel valley, I couldn't help wondering if there's an official
>version who exactly Argrath is and what he's been doing until 1624 S.T.

>So could somebody please tell me, what has happened until then and
>especially what is known about the events surrounding Argrath's story
>to the people of Sartar, Prax and the Zola Fel valley. If there's no
>official version, what is consensus?

The key point is that there is more than _one_ Argrath. Argrath merely means 'liberator' and is derived from Arkat who liberated Dragon Pass from Gbaji a thousand years ago. Think of the name 'Caesar'.

Argrath of Pavis: Grandson of Dorasar. He ruled Pavis after the Lunars were expelled. He is not the Argrath.

Argrath White Bull: Possibly the same person who later ruled Sartar and pulled down the Red Moon. The Freeform in Chicago may settle the truth. If he isn't, then the CHDP is merely flattering Prince Argrath when it claims that he was the White Bull who unified Prax (this is par for the CHDP which also attributes Argrath with relighting the Flame of Sartar).

Prince Argrath: *The* Argrath. The genealogy given in the CHDP is correct although his bloodline appears to have shifted clans. He is the one who defended the cradle under the name of Garrath Sharpsword and embarked on the circumnavigation quest. He seems to have been the cookman of Kallyr Starbrow (her list of companions is missing the cook which appears in the list of Umath's companions elsewhere in KoS). Some people don't believe that he is the same person as Argrath White Bull.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #168