Glorantha vs. RuneQuest

From: klaiberl_at_cips01.physik.uni-bonn.de
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 96 10:05:43 +0200

Hi, friends of Glorantha,
                          to the ongoing discussion about the influence and
replacability of RuneQuest in Glorantha - no, I definitely won't quote - I wish to add my humble opinion:
It's quite clear that RQ helped form Glorantha as well as other games set there. But Glorantha without RQ - even without any RPG - is as possible as RQ without Glorantha. I am for example playing a version of RQ all the time but never have entered Glorantha during this. This is because I really like the rules of RQ (realism and all), but do consider Glorantha way to mythic and illogical in a scientific sense to enjoy playing there. I admit I am kind of a Vulcan (or God Learner) when it comes to chosing game worlds. Nevertheless I do enjoy reading Gloranthan stories or plundering RQ-Glorantha-Campains for good plot ideas. It's the same with Middle-Earth: Tolkein's books are just marvelous, but I never will set a RPG there.
                      Bye, Jonas