EARTH AND STORM DOMINATION QUESTION

From: Craig Furber <Craig_Furber_at_ccm.isw.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 96 11:45:00 PDT

In response to Joerg's suggestion that mountains are dominant because they are so big and are oblivious to the power of the air up at that height...wrong...think again:)
Mountains are worn down by the elements from rough jagged peaks (ie the Matterhorn in France to rounded soft peaks, Chilterns in England. The elements would include ice, wind, rain, snow & sand. I expect the weather systems in Glorantha to work as they do on Earth, particularly as the climatic regions are very Earthlike (just the populus and the bio-diversity are slightly different)

Translate all this into Gloranthan terms and the Earth, Storm and Sea Pantheons are all eating at each others realms all the time.

Darkness and light however are much more constant (except in times of great Calamity) and follow a much more rigid pattern (day...night...day...)

Using this view of Glorantha I percieve that the Gods although powerful are still restricted in their machinations by natural laws far older and more potent than they are. Yes of course the Gods can go against this sublime natural order of things but it is only temporary and always causes trouble (but being Gods the majority don't care (particulrly Orlanth who has always been a thorn in my side!)).

Another point is that where would we be without Chaos? Chaos focuses the actions of the Gods (Storm Bull would be a drunken animal but for Chaos!!!)
Chaos provides a cosmic balance in Glorantha which would be a pretty boring place without it.
Glorantha needs Chaos else it would slide into a world where the gods from different Pantheons would war against one another for a petty dominace which has no real substance or worth as a higher natural order will always prevail! Chaos allows the Gods a focal point for their energies...because lets face reality here we all love the bad guys and without themn life would be a bit too easy.

Shamelessly plagurised from "Thoughts of a Dark and Sinister Nature" G.Brodanski Best Press 1874

:)