marine needles

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 02:25:26 +0800

>But a bone needle can be replaced with far greater ease than
>a metal needle in the environment of a merman. Therefore it
>would be better for him to use bone needles, methinks.

        No, therefore most of them will have bone needles, and the metal needles will be prized, because they are better and difficult to replace. Most merman sewers would prefer a metal needle, but won't be able to afford one. Metal needles are probably an excellent trade item with merfolk, as they were historically to cultures with sewing but not quality metalwork. A good needle is quite hard to make, as well.

        I imagine merfolk find them even more valuable, given their tendency to make armour and so on out of particularly tough leather like sea creature hides (sharkskin, etc.). Needles that can take more pressure without breaking, and thus be used to do fine work on such hides, are probably thus particularly prized.

        Cheers

                David