RQ Unique qualities

From: Harry Bowman <hbowman_at_Morgan.EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 10:34:14 -0400 (EDT)

Let me start by saying that I am writing here about RQ in the Glorantha environment, as I have seen it in published supplements and magazines.

I disagree with what Mr. Petersen has said about RQ's unique qualities. I am not an expert, but I did play a competitor game (AD&D) set in another setting (Greyhawk) from 1981 to 1992. I believe both that game and its setting are inferior to RQ and to Glorantha, but they provide a foil for my argument.

  1. "RQ is friendly to non-human PC's" in that they are fully developed species with cultures, etc. Very true, but non-human PC's in Glorantha are generally outcasts from their community, if they play with human PC's. Based on what I have read in the published supplements, in a mixed human/ other party: dwarves are heretics or apostates, elves are rootless, and trolls are somehow not-with-their-clan. In fact, it seems easier for non-humans to play in a homogenous group. Xenophobia is a big factor in most places in Glorantha, and I get the impression that non-humans just can't fit in many places. Most published scenarios seem to favor either a group of humans or a unified group of trolls. All of the prepared PC's in every scenario pack are human. AD&D, with its "human clones" does make it easier to play a mixed group. In fact, given that game's rules, non-humans generally lived much, much longer, can see in the dark, etc. I still prefer to play RQ in Glorantha, but mixed groups (outside of Pavis) seem sort of tough to handle. Except for ducks and newtlings...
  2. "RQ is anti-heroic." Maybe for PC's. The Heroes in the G:CotHW folks seem to be super tough, though. Even for "normals", is a Rune Lord actually in danger from 3 merc's. If I play it correctly, one cannot critically hit through Shield. If I play it incorrectly, skip these comments. Several points of shield will reduce or remove the risk of damage from Joe Average's weapon. The danger now comes from being tackled and smothered, taken captive, etc. With Teleport spells, spirits, etc. in the hands of very tough folks, it doesn't seem that the game is anti-heroic in that respect. I like the idea of gritty PC's, but my players like the idea of being super dudes out saving the region, and who can blame them?

Of course, I am probably wrong on all counts, and will really appreciate taking any discussion of this topic either to private email or just skipping the whole issue.

Thanks,

Hal Bowman hbowman_at_morgan.edu