Ostriches and Dragonewts

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 9:29:15 +0100

After a year or so away from Glorantha I am thinking about returning to the fold. I unlurk hereby with some questions and comments: I thought I might try running PCs as members of a minor Praxian tribe. The ostrich riders seems a good idea as they are little detailed so far.
I have found the following -
Cults of Prax says they are a reptilian group. Is this still canon law or has it been superseded by some later publication I haven't seen?
Presumably they are oviparous (egg-laying) and have a linkage to their beasts' lifecycle such that both lay at the same time. During the incubation period the ostriches are tied to their nesting grounds and the ostrich people with them. Presumably this would be a time of great ritual significance to the ostrich people. Assuming Praxian ostriches are RW ostrich-sized, the ostrich riders will be somewhat smaller than humans. Perhaps crested dragonewt sized. Has anyone speculated on a possible ostrich-rider/dragonewt link? Perhaps the ostrich riders are dragonewts who have lost the Path and can no longer be reborn as higher forms. (reminiscent of the Chirper/Droyne connection in Traveller). Ostriches are clearly not demi-birds; they lack the strong, hatchet-like beak. Perhaps there is some good mythic reason for ostriches to descend from demi-birds? I'm happy to pursue this but there's not much point if there is no dragonewt connection. All of the above would seem to preclude the ostrich riders being members of the Waha/Eiritha culture. I'd like to work up detailed cultural background on the tribe (nesting time rituals, mythic associations etc.) but I want to keep within known lore. Is there anywhere a known cult breakdown for the Ostrich Riders? Is it Written that the Ostrich folk where among those led out of The Darkness by Waha?
Are there any major sources I have missed? I have Cults of Prax, with its passing mention, and Glorantha:GCOTHW which gives numbers in each tribe.
Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
=20