PC cult choices

From: Kevin Matheny <kevinm_at_conceptgroup.com>
Date: 6 Sep 1996 09:10:03 -0500

PC cult choices

>Keith Suderman

>I suspect that Uroxi and Humakti are
>somewhat overrepresented among my PC's...

They probably are -- a natural consequence of the adventuring lifestyle. IMO, most human inhabitants of Dragon Pass are not members of the Storm Bull or Humakt cults. I'd guess at perhaps 10%, and I think that's high. Players, on the other hand, will be about 75% warlike -- mostly Urox and Humakti. (Numbers based on personal experience. Your mileage may vary.)

This is not necessarily a problem. Given that many campaigns have the "PCs-as-outcast-adventurers" feeling, it's quite appropriate.

It does, however, produce a problem when trying to introduce new players to RQ/Glorantha. Since Uroxi and Humakti are outsiders, it's harder to give the players a feeling for what daily life is like. At times, it runs close to the cardboard AD&D feeling -- me fighter, you cleric, them orc.

My personal preference is to start characters out as lay members, and have initiation represent a significant experience in their lives. I want the Humakti player to roleplay out attending his own funeral. I want the Uroxi to roleplay out the strange and brutal hazing that the other initiates administer (think fraternity).

Any comments?

Kevin Matheny
Interactive Producer
Concept Group Inc.

Emcee:        "Can you... destroy the Earth?"
The Tick: "I HOPE not! That's where I keep all my stuff!"