Discorporate Binding (was Re: Shamans & Sorcerors)

From: Andrew O. Mellinger <andrew_at_criticalpath.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 08:46:23 -0700

From: Steven R Lieb.

>>> 2) If the shaman wins a spirit combat, bringing a spirit's
>>> MPs to 0, he can bind it into his fetch or a magic item, whether he's
>>> corporate or not. He doesn't even need a Control spell.
>>
>>Is there any reason anyone can't do this?
>
>Sure, anyone....who has part of their existence on both planes in the form
>of a fetch. In otherwords, shamans have an edge - it's not just a
>gratuitous game mech

  Ok, this appears to be a tricky subject. I say this because the rules as I have read them are unclear, and I have played this many ways. Here are some thoughts.

1.) First, when Shamans discorporate, the fetch is supposed to guard the body. Supposedly the fetch can't even help the shaman in spirit combat because it has to guard the body. So, if the fetch is left at the body and the shaman is way off in the spirit plane one would surmise that he could neither trap a beaten spirit in his fetch or a magic it. The result of the spirit combat is that he has the spirit's true name and can summon that specific one later for binding.

2.) From a RL perspective, if the fetch is the shaman's extension on the spirit plane then discorporation is a shift of conciousness. In mechanics terms, the shaman cruises around in his 'spirit self' (fetch) thus having the POW of his fetch, not his body's POW. This also makes it easier for a powerful shaman to get more powerful spells. So the shaman could trap a spirit in the fetch (himself) for transport to put into a binding.

  However, under neither of these conditions could a spirit be immediately put into an item without going through the fetch, or a summoning.

    _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/_/_/      Andrew O. Mellinger
   _/      _/  _/  _/           Critical Path Software, Inc.
  _/      _/_/_/  _/_/_/        andrew_at_criticalpath.com
 _/      _/          _/         Voice:   (503) 293-6340
_/_/_/  _/      _/_/_/          Fax:     (503) 293-6618