re:Glorantha Digest V3 #172

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:39:00 -0400

Paul Stolar asked: "Why must everyone assume that women menstruate as in the real world."

I would ask Paul: Why do we assume people in Glorantha sweat, piss, and shit?

There are aspects of being human that should just be kept as they are. Sure we can use our imaginations to come up with all sorts of alternatives, but what do they add to the game?

In any speculative fiction (fantasy, science fiction, stories, or RPGs) there is a need to balance imagination with realism. If you throw out everything that binds the reader/player to reality, then the product becomes less. You need to keep the elements that people can relate to. Fundamental aspects of the human condition should be retained unless your entire speculation is about the influence of those fundamentals. I don't think Glorantha needs radically different humans from the RW.

Players with female characters in Glorantha should have to put up with menstrual cramps, pregnancy, and sexual discrimination. The world will be less believable if these aren't there. It would be a nicer world if those weren't there, but I don't think that 'nice' is something we are seeking in Glorantha.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #176