G:tRPG

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 12:19:41 -0500 (EST)

Judging by the comments on this line, I must be in the minority of Gloranthaphiles who is not particularly a fan of Pendragon. The combat system of Pendragon is too quick and not particularly interesting -- the characteristic table is irritatingly simple-minded and vastly reduces the chance for role-playing. In our games, playing both in Glorantha and in Vikings, we have never had any problem playing long time-span campaigns with Runequest.
I quite agree with Sandy about the gritty nature of the Runequest rules, and agree with the other person (I forget who) who suggests that RQ would go well with Tekumel.
The greatest weakness of RQ rules for Gloranthan reality (and even more for Alternate Earth) is that the system is too magic-heavy. Not as bad as using Rolemaster for Middle Earth, I admit! So my wish list for Mr. Hall is a combat system which is more interesting than that of Pendragon, and some way of using the trait list better -- perhaps a more subtle set of lists, and certainly a less constraining way of using the traits. At its worst Pendragon, unlike RQ, becomes simply a matter of "go there," "roll against your trait of xxx," "a fight-- roll once -- "you win, or you lose," go somewhere else, "roll for children," etc. Jim Chapin