GtG

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 19:38:55 +0100 (BST)

Kevin Rose
> Why is linear probability good? It does mean that game designers that
> slept through "introduction to statistics" can avoid producing abortions
> like 1st edition shadowrun, but I don't really want to make my game stupid
> so the designers don't have to think. In reality, life isn't linear.

Sure, as David Cake points out 3d6 has a nice feel to it. However it isn't open-ended and I've yet be convinced it handles the kind of heroic power levels that occur in Glorantha terribly well. (I've not played GURPS Supers so I stand to be corrected.)

The open-ended, non-linear difficulty systems mentioned suck. They are very dice intensive and expect GMs to assign difficulties when there is no way they can be expected to work out the resultant probability of success on the hoof.

The only reason I (knowingly) exposed myself to the scorn of this esteemed list is because I hope that GtG will cover the entire Glorantha experience, both in terms of cultural panoply & power level. GtG -needs- an open ended mechanic if it's going to work equally well for peasant farmers and the big guys.

Culture. Please don't present GtG solely in terms of one culture. Provide a solid -example- culture (the Malkioni scream out as an obvious example given the interest to RQers & their medievalness.) But include the "meta" elements also: the four different magic system/philosophies; What My Father/Religious Authority Figure Told Me; Cult Formats and the culturally based Personality Traits from earlier versions of GtG should be present in wire frame form as well as with fully fleshed out examples. - --------
Andrew Behan