Copyright

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 13:36:48 PDT

Hal Bowman and Dave Dunham discuss copyright law. While I am not a lawyer, my understanding of copyright differs (somewhat) from both. Here is my interpretation (applies to US copyright; I make no claims for international copyright, although I suspect it's similar):

Fair Use: You can make one copy any document (or anything copyrighted) for your own use, or for backup (usually applies to computer software). You cannot sell or otherwise distribute this copy, without prior permission from the publisher, or if unpublished, the author/creator. You must ensure that the original copyright notice (if any) is copied along with the rest of the work. If there is no copyright, be sure to list the author's/creator's name and the date the work was created.

So, you are free, AFAIK, to make _one_ copy of any work, in print or not. Just don't sell it or give it to your friends ... Of course, the BUTS (or whatever the latest acronym is) proposed to make many copies (either complete or in part) of several works, and for this we need permission from the publisher (usually, Chaosium or AH) or author (most often, Greg).

Now, copyright isn't forever. From the date of creation or from the date of copyright, a work is protected for a limited time (I think it's 54 years, but I am not certain). After that time, the copyright owner or author/creator or his or her heirs can reapply for copyright. If the work is not re-copyrighted, it falls into the public domain -- allowing anyone to do whatever they wish with it. This is what keeps publishers such as Dover in business -- reprinting books that have become public domain. Of course, this isn't likely to help us any time soon ...

I'd like to have given some Gloranthan content in this post, but my Glorantha is on the blink. But because so much of the RQ2 material is out of print, I thought I'd clarify/muddy the copyright issue.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory     Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions      Fax   (408)463-4101
Bitnet ID:            MCM at VNET           IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or  USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us