Obscure Gods and Seshnegi 'Witches'

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:39:37 +1200

Nick.Davison:

Asks for information about:

>Fonrit - Ompalam, Artmal and Jraktal

Ompalam is the God of Slavery and is the dominant cult of Fonrit. He was introduced into Fonrit by the invading Agimori (c 500 ST) under the leadership of Garangordos. I think of it as similar to Islam (lit 'submission') but without the strict monotheism and with an emphasis on slavery.

Artmal was the Old Emperor of the Blues and is now a Slave God. He is worshipped by the oppressed blues and IMO because of this they are weak.

Jraktal is the God of Tap (as in the spell). He maimed Artmal long ago and his (blue) priests ruled all Fonrit before the invasion of the Agimori. I don't know exactly how his cult fits into Fonritan Society but my impression is that it's a shadowy cult that promises great power which is depised by the rulers.

>Umathela - Worath

It should actually be Worlath. He's another Storm God. He would be similar to Orlanth but he's somewhat exotic compared to them.

Joerg Baumgartner:

On a 'witch' tradition in Seshnela

>>I think their magics would be more sorcerous. The 'old women in town' who
>>treat sicknesses (mentioned in WMFTM: A personal view of Western Culture)
>>seem to be related to them and they are not suppressed by the Rokari Church
>>(presumably because their magics seem respectable?)

>Healers aren't really challenged for their magical methods as long as
>they behave - [snip] act only as assistants to the church officials.

Read the WMFTM. The 'old women in town' are spoken as entirely seperate from Old Wizard Marlet and are not acknowleged to be part of the Church hierarchy. Why should they be? Other occupations aren't. All the other requirements you listed and which I snipped are obeyed by *everybody* in Seshnela.

>On the part of the
>(Chalan Arroy?) healers, this subterfuge will be acceptable, I suppose,
>especially where the healers are less closely tied to the Lightbringer myth.

Chalana Arroy? Lightbringers? In Seshnela, Joerg? These old women are honest-to-god Rokari. They are far more likely to invoke St Xemela IMO. They may have some heterodox elements to foreign observers but the Rokari see such pratices as natural IMO.

>When I said witch, I meant the wise women (or rarely men) outside of town,
>among the disrespectable people, which no doubt exist in Seshnela as well as
>anywhere else. Roving people who perform tasks deemed unacceptable to good
>people you tolerate in your community.

And I submit the difference between a wise women outside of town and an 'old women in town' is similar to the difference between a village priest and a Bishop. The Vandervasses go to the 'old women in town' because they are better than the roving wise women who pander to the peasantry.