Theism

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:56:29 +1200

Pam Carlson:

>The Wendarians had lots of deities _and_ sang and danced to summon the
>spirits. The Suvarians/Darjiians worship SurElslib as an ancestral
>goddess, _and_ have their damuski.

>Even Yelm worship has a very large ancestral component. I think much of
>Maniran and Pelorian religions have a shamanistic aspect.

The Pelorians did have shamanistic origins and practices that can be traced to such origins, the question I was attemting to answer is whether they do so _now_. The Entekosiad and the Suvarian tales all happened a very long time ago, so the modern Damuski (if they exist) *may* have abandoned their shamanic origins.

The existance of Ancestor Worship in a culture is not evidence for that culture having a shamanic aspect (China is a good example of this).

Sandy Petersen:

Me>>Maniria Is 90 to 95% theistic IMO. The remainder are the Rokari in
>>Heortland and the Marcher Barons as well as the People Whom God
>>Forgot.

> I believe that much of Wenelia is inhabited by shamanic
>cultures, though they are also Orlanthi. I.e., an Orlanth-equivalent
>is worshiped in a shamanic manner. And I also believe that the border
>between shamanism and theism rather tends to break down here.
>Finally, Pralorela is still inhabited by numbers of deer-people, who
>are most definitely non-theistic.

D'oh! And I also forgot the Mraloti of Ramalia (although they could have mutated into a cult along the lines of 'Richard III' as Nick B. will probably point out).

> There's also the question as to whether trolls or elves can
>really be considered "theists".

I only considered human populations in my list as I didn't want to spend time waffling about whether or not certain species of nonhumans are theists. For the record, I don't think trolls and elves are theists.