TP and cramps

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:03:00 -0400

Toilet paper.
In most civilized societies, rags were used. How often they get laundered is variable. Depends how civilized they are and how much you want to gross out your gamers. This is probably the Lunar option, and most other civilized people.

In northern and temperate climes, sphagnum moss has been a popular wipe. It is soft and absorbant, and relatively plentiful. I would guess that the Sartari rely on it.

I've no idea about the Praxians, and am open to suggestions. Since my campaign is in that area, I could use some soon. (Some ideas, that is. Please don't mail me Praxian TP.)

There is probably a good long discussion possible on the standards and methods of hygiene to be found in Gloranthan cultures.

Preventing menstrual cramps.

This probably is one of the very common and popular magics among women throughout Glorantha. I like Lewis comments about Western vs Orlanthi women in this respect. The westerners probably don't allow the women to learn enough magic to protect themselves for fear that they might use it in other ways.

How might such magic work?

It seems to me that Pain Spirits are attracted to bloodshed. There are some that seem especially attracted to menstrual blood. So some sort of spirit protection seems indicated. Probably there are earth cult spirits that act as guardians for women in most communities. Women outside of communities may have trouble protecting themselves.

Even inside a community, some pain spirits might be strong or sneaky enough to manage to attack a woman despite the guardians. The services of a shaman would then be desired to defeat and bind the spirit.

This leads me to suspect that Control Pain Spirit is probably one of the most common spells learned by female shamans. (They are more likely to believe this is important than male shamans.) Which in turn suggests that bound pain spirits are a very common weapon among female shamans.