Partial Successes

From: Peter Donald <neurolab_at_psyc.queensu.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 14:57:30 -0400

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996 20:21:38 -0400, Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com> wrote:

>Another *valid* complaint about Star Wars (and every other RPG system I know
>of, except Pendragon) is that it doesn't provide for partial success.

        The most interesting partial success system I've seen yet is in Skyrealms of Jorune (3rd ed.), where making your roll indicates success at your level of competence (divided into four categories from beginner to master, IIRC). Failure means that you succeed, but at a lower level of ability; criticals up your level by one, fumbles drop it by one. This works quite nicely in play - a master jeweler will almost always produce better work than an apprentice, for example. Here's an example from the History skill:

        Unfamiliar: Unable to make sophisticated judgements about historical events or participate meaningfully in historical research. Success on die rolls indicates a coincidental familiarity with historical events.

        Familiar: Is well acquainted with Jorune's history. Can intelligently discuss important historical events. Success indicates a particularly sharp insight or great familiarity with a given topic. Failure indicates only broad knowledge.

        Experienced: Participates in historical research, or is at least qualified to. May be published. Has probably travelled to explore records and recover artifacts. Success indicates that the scholar is aware of obscure resources or has a particularly brilliant insight on a topic. Failure should be interpreted as mere competence without brilliance.

        Seasoned: Is actively pursuing research, as a team leader if working with others of lesser ability. Is published and recognized by name by scholars with similar pursuits. Failure indicates such mastery over a topic or issue that the scholar must work at filtering out pertinent but complex material from a presentation to others. Success indicates that the material is presented quickly and clearly.