Skill descriptions

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:35:37 -0700

"Paul2.Harmaty" <Paul2.Harmaty_at_aig.com> writes:

>Briefly, instead of the player having a number next to a skill, he'd have a
>"level" descriptor. For example, in Pendragon it would work something like ...
>any skill rated: 1-3 = Inept, 4-6 = Novice, 7-9 = Trained (Apprentice), 10-12
>= Skilled (Journeyman), 13-15 = Experienced, 16-18 = Talented and 19+ = Master.
>Of course, the GM must have a master character list with the actual skill
>numbers for use in resolving any skill tests.
>
>This allows the character to honestly state he is a talented swordsman rather
>than saying he has a 16 sword skill. It's also a great way to describe an NPC's
>abilities or reputation.

Marvel Superheroes does this, and nobody I've spoke with liked it. Such canned key-words encourage roleplaying, in theory, but players will quickly learn what they mean. It also gets down right annoying after a while ("I've got an AMAZING strength!" "Oh yeah, mine's UNEARTHLY! So there!")

Your example also makes the skill break points more severe (going from Inept to Novice is a +3 skill increase)