Chaosium, Avalon Hill, & RuneQuest

From: RMcLearen_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 00:41:58 -0400

Today I've been reading a month's back issues of the Digest (and have about 3 weeks more
to go, so pardon me if my questions have already been answered), and have been intrigued
by the new Glorantha: the Game concept. However, some issues have crossed my mind.
Why ditch the RuneQuest system? Does Chaosium have the resources to buy RuneQuest
from Avalon Hill? Avalon Hill may be interested in selling as can be seen from the following
from their 10K document to the Security Exchange Commission:

<NOTE G--FUTURE OPERATIONS

<The Company has been adversely affected by marketing and competitive
<conditions, including short shelf lives and high marketing expense for its
<computer games, poor results from commercial printing, and uncertainty
<regarding the future profitability of its start-up magazine. In view of
<these developments, the Company is exploring strategic business and
financial
<alternatives. These could include, among other things, possible business
<combinations, disposition of assets or divisions or other similar
<transactions. No decisions have been reached as to any such alternatives,
<and satisfactory arrangements are not assured.

If Chaosium purchased RQ, they could alleviate the concerns people have about compatibility
and reissues (or re-reissues) of current publications. It would also alleviate any concern about
copyright/trademark infringements between Chaosium and Avalon Hill.