Skills

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:04:58 -0700

WRT Andrew Joelson on my previous skills post. Yes the system was originally inspired by role-master (I like the open-endded idea). However, I hate rolemaster as it is full of tables and other unnecessarily complex garbage. The critical tables are fun to read through once, but after that they are just tedious. Also I don't know how many people here would like to add together two 2-to-3 digit numbers then add/subtract any modifiers every time they wanted to do something...

Also the RM skill increase system is fairly arbitrary and the whole game requires alot of book-keeping. Basically, RM is a complex simulation (but is it realistic) that is too much hassle to play. I believe that complexity discourages roleplaying, or at the very least it reduces the time that can be spent on it.

Cheers

        Lewis