Storm Season 1622

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 23:50 MET DST

Harry Bowman
>1. It is Storm Season 1622. Who is in control of 1) Esrolia, 2) Karse,
>3) Heortland. I can't piece it all together.
  1. Civil War between Warm Earth (from Porhtomeka/Caladraland, still holding back), Red Earth (Lunar: Queen Hendira recently ousted, Grazeland Army controlling) and Old Earth (from the holy places like Ernalda or Necropolis). Tatius excerts a nominal control.
  2. Karse will be controlled by a cartel of Etyries merchants, I suppose. The official ruler might be a Lunar or Tarshite Lunar who was given one of the previous baron's daughters in marriage. I don't know yet what exactly became of the baron himself, he might still be alife. Same for his chancellor. Likely the most stable place of those you asked about...
  3. Heortland: This is unofficial, and based mostly on David Hall's version in HtWW1. The Aeolian Church of Heortland is quite strong in a couple of cities, mostly the south, and IMG Archbishop Gwydion has taken a semblance of control from Mt. Passant (recently retaken from the God Forgot Invaders with the help of Gerard de Montanpein, former companion of Richard the Tigerhearted who converted to Aeolian creed), and rivals the weak Lunar occupation forces based on Jansholm and possibly Durengard. King Brian of the Volsaxi roams the Bullflood Valley and leads most of the traditional Orlanthi from the foothills against both remnant scorpionmen and Lunar taxmen leaving the safer flat parts of the plateau.

>2. When does Tatius' failed military move take place (G:CotHW)?

1624, the Battle of Pennel Ford, where Harrek reflects the mega-Sunspear and burns out half the Lunar priesthood even back at the Temple site.

>4. The source of the Zola Fel is the Leaping Place Falls.

Actually, the Leaping Place Falls are fed from a lake in the Redwood Forest (itself fed from eastern Dagori Inkarth) and various semi-permanent rivers through the troll- and nomad-ridden hills. While it makes sense for the human River People to assume this as the source, the river spirits won't stop there, IMO.

>Is there anything printed about
>the relationship between the Zola Fel folks, the trolls and the elves
>along the route?

Nothing I can recall about the Zola Fel folks and the others. Elves and trolls get by via a balance of terrors between Torch Spirits and troll numbers and magic. The elves don't try to expand too much, and the trolls don't cut down trees wholesale. Occasional trollkin herds might cause trouble, but the tribes rather trade, AFAIK.

>I find it difficult to believe that the relatively
>combat light ZF's would have an easy time in troll territory, year after
>year, without a formal arrangement.

If they have access to the Zola Fel magics as per Nomad Gods, they can keep freedom in the river valley without too much trouble.