A Plea for Mercy

From: Glenn Glazer <gglazer_at_ucla.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:58:11 -0700

In #194, Sandy said the debate about shamen and sorcerors was starting to get stupid and I agree, but not for the same reasons. I _scanned_ all of #194 - there wasn't a single thread in there that I found interesting.

Why? Because people are generating heat instead of light, as the saying goes. If I may humbly suggest, rather than the confrontational "I'm right, you're wrong." positions people have taken, could we not just discuss these issues as matters of opinion and "in my game..."?

I dearly love Glorantha and one of the reasons is the many mythographic and fantastic possibilities one can interpret from what Greg and others have written. To me, these are more or less equally valid interpretations and I pick and choose the ones I find interesting. For example, as a issue of cultural anthropology, I found the TP thread far, far more interesting than the "who's better, shamen or sorcereors in the other world?". Frankly, I couldn't care less about the latter, the knowledge doesn't paint any interesting pictures to me. But that is my taste. I am NOT trying to censor the discussion, but rather most of the flame.

Best,

Glenn