childbirth and fairness

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 18:01:00 -0400

Paul Harmaty states that having childbirth be dangerous is unfair to female characters. I agree. Life is unfair. I don't think that Glorantha should be fair. That would be unbelievable. The underlying reality of Glorantha can't be expected to be any more fair than our own existence is. That is part of the human condition.

GMs are free to fiddle the odds to make things more or less fair as the needs of drama dictate. So the players in a game may experience a fairer world than the general population. I know I do that for my players. Usually I give them a break on all the little dangers that don't add much to the game, occassionally I beef up the odds against them when there is some dramatic potential in the event.

As for a female character dying in childbirth, I probably would adjust the odds to avoid that provided they had taken sensible precautions. If they had foolishly ignored all the proper practices of pre-natal care and neglected all the childbirth rituals of their society, then I would leave the odds unmodified and let them die if the die rolls so indicate. I don't see that as unfair.

I have not said that Gloranthan childbirth has to be as painful and dangerous as it historically has been in Earth's ancient and medieval cultures. That level of pain and risk exists in the background if people don't take precautions. Glorantha has working magic to replace the medical technology of the modern world. The risks of childbirth MAY BE as low in many Gloranthan societies as they are in the modern western world. However, if people are cut off from their magical support then the risks go back up.

The GM and the players between them will determine what level of risk will exist for the characters. If the plot line and the players' actions allow them to stay in their society with all its protections then any character childbirths may have very low risks (and the GM can fudge out the small remaining risk if he wishes). If the players' actions or the dictates of the plot drive them away from their community, then the risks go up. The players should then seek alternate protection and support or avoid risky undertakings like pregnancy or accept the risk. They have a lot more control over their fate than we do in the real world, but not total control. If they had total control then the game would be no fun. A reasonable level of risk when the players have considerable control over the risks is my definition of fair inside a RPG.

Glorantha should be unfair. The game should and can be fair.